A SheepDip Workstation is an invaluable tool to have available when re-imaging an infected PC. It can be used to sanitise the user's data files and keep them safe during the re-imaging process, ready for reloading when the machine is clean again. The process is as follows:
- Copy all data files from the user's infected PC to a freshly formatted portable hard disc.
- Connect the disc to a SheepDip Workstation and copy all files to the sheep-dip's local disc.
- If any files are infected the sheep-dip will not copy them, therefore the copied data will be clean.
- Re-image the user's PC and reload any additional software from original clean media.
- Bring the PC's security patches and antivirus protection up-to-date.
- Re-format the portable hard disc and copy the user's data files back to it from the sheep-dip.
- Connect the disc to the re-imaged PC and copy the data files back to the PC's local disc.
- Erase the sheep-dip's copies of the data files and re-image the portable hard disc.
- Scan the cleaned PC with its own antivirus program. If all is well, then return it to the user.
For extra security, use a secure erasure program to clean the portable hard disc instead of simply re-formatting it.